1. Money
You can opt-out at any time. Please refer to our privacy policy for contact information.

Can I File Schedule C-EZ? How Do I Complete Schedule C-EZ?


Question: Can I File Schedule C-EZ? How Do I Complete Schedule C-EZ?


When Can I File a Schedule C-EZ?
Most small businesses must use Schedule C to calculate their business taxes. But small companies may be able to use Schedule C-EZ instead.

The IRS says:

Small businesses and statutory employees with expenses of $5,000 or less may be able to file Schedule C-EZ instead of Schedule C.

Here are the IRS requirements for eligibility to file Schedule C-EZ. You must meet all of these requirements. You can use Schedule C-EZ if you:

  • Had business expenses of $5,000 or less during the year
  • Use the cash method of accounting
  • Had no inventory at any time during the year
  • Did not have a net loss from your business; in other words, your business had a profit for the year
  • Had only one business as either sole proprietor, qualified joint venture, or statutory employee
  • Did not receive any credit card or similar payments other than those included in your business income
  • Had no employees during the year
  • Had no depreciation or amortization for the business
  • Did not deduct expenses for business use of your home, or
  • Did not have prior year unallowed passive activity losses from the business

What business types can file Schedule C-EZ?
That requirement about business types might be a little confusing, so here's more information on the types of businesses that can file Schedule C-EZ (noting that you can have only one business):

Schedule C-EZ and Self-employment Taxes
Small businesses that file Schedule C-EZ for their business taxes must also pay self-employment taxes (Social Security and Medicare tax) on the profit of those businesses. You will need to complete Schedule SE to calculate your self-employment tax and add that to your income tax on your personal tax return.

How Do I Complete Schedule C-EZ?

Part I: Complete the general information about your business:


Part II-Figure Your Net Profit

  • Total your gross receipts.
  • Subtract expenses from receipts to get your net profit.

Part III: Provide information about business use of your vehicle, if you are claiming one for business purposes.

That's all you need to provide on this form. Of course, you should have all the documentation on your income, expenses, and vehicle, in case you get audited.

More information on Schedule C for 2012, including instructions on how to prepare and file this form.


©2014 About.com. All rights reserved.