Want to be more confident in your understanding of payroll and payroll taxes? Want to be sure you complying with federal and state laws? Sign up for my one-week "crash course" on payroll and payroll taxes.
Purpose of This Course
Payroll and payroll taxes are confusing, and laws change depending on your type of business and where you are located. This course is designed to take you through the basics of paying employees, setting up a payroll system, and complying with federal, state, and local laws regarding payroll taxes. By the time you complete this course, you should have a good basic understanding of payroll and payroll taxes. The course also will provide resources to help you find answers to questions about payroll and payroll taxes.
Do You Have Questions about this Course?
If you have questions about any of the lessons in this course, or you want to clarify something or ask about a specific situation, you can:
A disclaimer: The information in this course is general in nature and it is not intended to be tax or legal advice. Laws change, and every business is different, so be sure to get tax or financial advice before you make important decisions.
- Your responsibilities to employees
- Your responsibilities to comply with employment laws
- Common payroll terms you should know
- Sorting out some commonly confused payroll terms
- An explanation of common payroll and payroll tax terms (you have to know the lingo before you can do the work
- A look at the types of payroll taxes you must pay, including FICA (Social Security and Medicare) tax
- Finding information on state payroll and employment taxes
- And an overview of state payroll and employment taxes
- What you need to do before hiring your first employee, including how to get an Employer ID Number (EIN)
- How to sign up as an employer with the IRS and with your state
- And the paperwork each new employee must sign
- Decisions to make about paying employees
- Calculating employee pay
- Calculating withholding and deductions
- Creating employee earnings records and a payroll register
- Federal payroll tax deposits - what, how, when
- Payroll tax reports on Forms 941 and 940
- Questions to ask yourself before setting up a payroll system
- How to set up a payroll tax system
- And, a payroll tax calendar
- Payroll taxes for independent contractors
- Some help from the IRS on payroll taxes