1. Money
You can opt-out at any time. Please refer to our privacy policy for contact information.

How Do I Complete a Schedule C for a Husband-Wife Partnership?


Question: How Do I Complete a Schedule C for a Husband-Wife Partnership?
Partnerships must file income taxes on Form 1065. But a husband-wife partnership may be eligible to be considered as a qualified joint venture and to file using Schedule C, under certain circumstances.

If you and your spouse are the sole partners in a partnership, you may be considered a qualified joint venture, if:

  • you and your spouse are the only partners
  • you are filing a joint personal tax return on Form 1040
  • both of you materially participated in the partnership during If all of these circumstances are met, you can elect to file as a qualified joint venture instead of a partnership.

The IRS allows the qualified joint venture option only for "unincorporated businesses." The IRS specifically excludes state law entities (that is, limited liability companies or limited liability partnerships) from filing as a qualified joint venture. So if you and your spouse own an LLC, you cannot make this election to be considered a qualified joint venture.

You must each file a separate Schedule C. First, allocate the income and expenses according to the membership percentage for each spouse, then each share is recorded on a separate Schedule C.

For example:

  • Each spouse has a 50% membership in a partnership which has an income of $100,000, expenses of $70,000, and profit of $30,000.
  • A Schedule C is prepared for each spouse, showing $50,000 in income, $35,000 in expenses, and $15,000 in profit.
  • The total profit of $30,000 is shown on Line 12 of Form 1040, with the two Schedule C forms as supporting documents.

Preparing Schedule C instead of a partnership return can save you time and money, but be certain that you qualify for this election. Check with your tax adviser before you file.

This article, and the information on this Guide Site, is intended for general information only. The author is not a CPA, tax attorney, or Enrolled Agent. Consult with your tax professional for information relating to your specific situation.

Back to Questions and Answers About Qualified Joint Ventures

More information on Schedule C, including instructions on how to prepare, when you can use Schedule C-EZ, and more.

©2014 About.com. All rights reserved.