Finding a Bookkeeper or Accountant
Unless you have a bookkeeping or accounting business, you will need someone to help you with bookkeeping and accounting tasks in your business. Depending on the size of your business, you may need several individuals to perform these tasks.
You will need someone to perform routing bookkeeping bookkeeping tasks:
- Keeping track of checks and other income, paying bills, and reconciling the business checkbook.
- Paying employees and filing and paying federal and state payroll taxes
- Keeping track of receivables (amounts owed to you by customers) and following up with billing and collections activities.
If you are just starting out, or if you have a small company, you may find one bookkeeping person who can perform all of these tasks. This person should be detail-oriented, honest, and have a knowledge of bookkeeping, payroll, and receivables/collections management.
In searching for an accountant or CPA, here are some considerations:
- Your accountant should be experienced with your type of business or other similar businesses. Some CPAs specialize in advising certain types of sizes of businesses. If you are a larger business, look for a regional or national CPA firm to help you with these matters.
- Your accountant should be willing to spend time with you in startup to help you establish your business recordkeeping system and advising you on financial matters.
- Your accountant should have a range of services available for you. Many CPAs, for example, have bookkeepers or payroll people working for them.
- Your accountant should have knowledge of business accounting software and is "computer savvy." Most CPAs use accounting software, but some still do not. If your business is complex, accounting software is a must.
- Finally, keep looking until you find an accountant or CPA who is also someone you enjoy talking with. You don't have to be best friends, but you will be spending time with this person on a regular basis, so you should enjoy his or her company.
You may be able to find a CPA or accountant who offers bookkeeping and payroll services. If your company is small, you may want to use these services instead of hiring an employee to perform these tasks.